IT Governance Engineer
Business and Financial Operations
Cowen Inc. is a diversified financial services firm that operates through two business segments: a broker dealer and an investment management division. The Company’s broker dealer division offers investment banking services, equity and credit research, sales and trading, prime brokerage, global clearing and commission management services. Cowen’s investment management segment offers actively managed alternative investment products. Cowen Inc. focuses on delivering value-added capabilities to our clients in order to help them outperform. Founded in 1918, the firm is headquartered in New York and has offices worldwide. Learn more at Cowen.com
We have a proud tradition of attracting and retaining individuals who are smart, hardworking, ambitious and team players.
Cowen is large enough to provide substantial resources to each employee, yet small enough so that each member’s contribution is recognised.
• Vision: We consistently deliver differentiated and disruptive insights that help our clients outperform
• Empathy: We proactively consider and account for the priorities and concerns of our colleagues and clients
• Sustainability: We endeavor to produce ideas and solutions that are ethically grounded and aim to pass the test of time
• Tenacious Teamwork: We elevate collaboration to new levels, empowering our ability to provide the best solutions for our clients.
Main Purpose of Role
Cowen’s information security team is seeking to augment their existing capabilities in data governance, and privacy with an individual who has experience supporting these processes as well managing some of the supporting tools.
- Management and support of IT governance, privacy and audit related tools
- Addressing inquiries from other groups (mainly legal, compliance and audit)
- Work with internal and external audit to produce and gather evidence to support their requests
- Conduct quarterly access reviews across our applications and systems
- Reviewing and analyzing policy in relation to data security/privacy requirements
- Maintaining data mapping/system catalog
- Assisting with setting IT related priorities for policy alignment and remediation
- Assisting with classification and risk ranking our data
- Development of data governance, privacy and audit tool/utilities to support growth of program
- SQL, File Systems, Authorization systems
- Windows, Linux, AD, AzureAD, 365
- Awareness of data privacy/governance statutes, and audit/sox/compliance/finance
- At least 5 years of experience working in an information security or data governance related role
- Proven ability to be a great team member working closely with peers, especially in the current remote setting
- Able to be pragmatic and discretion to prioritize problems and tasks appropriately
- Experience working in the Financial Industry
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and be able to interface directly with senior business stakeholders
- PowerShell, Python, Go, or other scripting languages
- Aligned with Cowen’s Core Values
- Out of the box thinker who is able to analyze and interpret requests and arrive at the best solution to the problem at hand.
- Highly curious and adept at learning new, complex systems and the latest technologies.
- Embraces challenges and is a methodical problem solver
- Hard working and with the highest standards of personal integrity
- Ambitious and self-motivated
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to multi-task, to perform effectively under pressure
- Great member of a team and passionate about teaching others
Cowen is an equal opportunity employer; we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. In accordance with applicable law, we make reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as any mental health or physical disability needs.
Protect Yourself from Recruitment Fraud. Recruitment fraud can be attempted through fake job postings, fake websites (posing as a Company) or unauthorized individuals impersonating recruiters (even using employee names). Depending on the role, Cowen will ask candidates to complete 2-4 interviews with Cowen employees before receiving an offer for employment. All communication regarding the interview process will come from an @cowen.com or @greenhouse.io email address. At no time throughout the hiring process will a Cowen recruiter or Human Resource Professional request any type of payment in order to be considered for the role. In addition, candidates will not be asked to submit personal information as a pre-requisite for the interview process.