Attorney - Investment Banking
Business and Financial Operations
New York, NY
Cowen’s Investment Banking department is seeking a lawyer to join its Legal Team. The successful candidate will play a vital role providing legal oversight and advice to the firm as it negotiates and executes capital markets and advisory assignments. The candidate will work directly with the General Counsel of Investment Banking and other members of the IB Legal department, and will interact with all levels of professionals within the organization.
- Drafting and reviewing transaction-related documentation, including underwriting agreements, engagement letters, non-disclosure agreements and fairness opinions
- Providing legal advice to investment banking and capital markets professionals relating to the Securities Act, Exchange Act, FINRA Rules, Delaware law and due diligence issues
- Coordinating with Compliance to ensure policies and procedures reflect best practices
- Managing outside counsel relationships
- Assist in transactions where Cowen is the issuer
- JD degree from a leading university and licensed to practice law in New York
- Minimum of three years of law firm experience, primarily focused on corporate finance and/or M&A
- High levels of ethics, integrity and judgment
- Ability to comfortably interact with senior professionals and clients in a professional setting
- Strong intellectual curiosity and interest in investment banking
- Comfortable in and committed to a teamwork environment
- Highly organized, detail oriented and proactive
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
Cowen Inc. (“Cowen” or the “Company”) is a diversified financial services firm offering investment banking services, equity and credit research, sales and trading, prime brokerage, global clearing, commission management services and actively managed alternative investment products. Cowen focuses on delivering value-added capabilities to our clients in order to help them outperform. Founded in 1918, the Company is headquartered in New York and has offices worldwide.
At Cowen, inclusion and diversity are catalysts for success and innovation in everything we do. We pride ourselves on our empathetic and collaborative culture, where the power of diversity is harnessed to transform the status quo. Our focus on inclusion expands our thinking in order to generate better outcomes for clients, while striving to increase fairness and equity for our colleagues. Cowen’s vision of creating a more inclusive and equitable future is supported by our core values and is essential to our ability to outperform.
- Vision: We consistently deliver differentiated and disruptive insights that help our clients outperform
- Empathy: We proactively consider and account for the priorities and concerns of our colleagues and clients
- Sustainability: We endeavor to produce ideas and solutions that are ethically grounded and aim to pass the test of time
- Tenacious Teamwork: We elevate collaboration to new levels, empowering our ability to provide the best solutions for our clients.
Learn more at cowen.com
As part of its hiring process, Cowen verifies identity and eligibility to work in the United States as required by law. At this time, Cowen Inc. will not sponsor a new applicant for an employment visa for this position.
Protect Yourself from Recruitment Fraud. Recruitment fraud can be attempted through fake job postings, fake websites (posing as a Company) or unauthorized individuals impersonating recruiters (even using employee names). Depending on the role, Cowen will ask candidates to complete 2-4 interviews with Cowen employees before receiving an offer for employment. All communication regarding the interview process will come from an @cowen.com or @greenhouse.io email address. At no time throughout the hiring process will a Cowen recruiter or Human Resource Professional request any type of payment in order to be considered for the role. In addition, candidates will not be asked to submit personal information as a pre-requisite for the interview process.