Equity Research Associate, Energy & Sustainability – Oil & Gas and Next Generation Materials
New York, NY
Cowen is looking for a Research Associate to join its Energy & Sustainability – Oil & Gas and Next Generation Materials team in New York. The role is an exciting opportunity to cover companies that are balancing the dual challenge of meeting growing energy demand in an increasingly sustainable way. The job offers exposure to evolving businesses that are anchored to legacy energy production and at the same time are pursuing low-carbon energy solutions while also looking at growing sources of supply for emerging energy transition technologies along the electric vehicle supply chain including lithium, rare earths and other materials.
The successful candidate will work directly with the Senior Research Analyst on many aspects of the research process including: building and maintaining financial models, performing financial analysis and due diligence, writing investment-driven research reports, developing macro research supported by analysis of large data sets and undertaking a wide array of industry analyses and competitive assessments. The associate will have broad exposure to company managements, investor conferences, and the research process that professional investment analysts utilize to make investments and recommendations.
The following are the minimum requirements for the position:
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 2 years related work experience, preferably in equity research, valuation services, accounting, consulting, or related industry experience in energy, metals and mining or sustainability.
- Strong quantitative, financial modeling and Excel skills with a thorough understanding of financial statements, financial analysis and the investment process
- Equity Analysis and FINRA licenses (7, 63, 86, and 87) preferred
- CFA or CFA track a plus
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with an acute attention to presentation details
- Proven ability to work well on teams, self-motivated, showing initiative, and a willingness to work hard
Who We Are
Cowen Inc. (“Cowen” or the “Company”) is a diversified financial services firm offering investment banking services, equity and credit research, sales and trading, prime brokerage, global clearing, commission management services and actively managed alternative investment products. Cowen focuses on delivering value-added capabilities to our clients in order to help them outperform. Founded in 1918, the Company is headquartered in New York and has offices worldwide.
At Cowen, inclusion and diversity are catalysts for success and innovation in everything we do. We pride ourselves on our empathetic and collaborative culture, where the power of diversity is harnessed to transform the status quo. Our focus on inclusion expands our thinking in order to generate better outcomes for clients, while striving to increase fairness and equity for our colleagues. Cowen’s vision of creating a more inclusive and equitable future is supported by our core values and is essential to our ability to outperform.
- Vision: We consistently deliver differentiated and disruptive insights that help our clients outperform
- Empathy: We proactively consider and account for the priorities and concerns of our colleagues and clients
- Sustainability: We endeavor to produce ideas and solutions that are ethically grounded and aim to pass the test of time
- Tenacious Teamwork: We elevate collaboration to new levels, empowering our ability to provide the best solutions for our clients.
Protect Yourself from Recruitment Fraud. Recruitment fraud can be attempted through fake job postings, fake websites (posing as a Company) or unauthorized individuals impersonating recruiters (even using employee names). Depending on the role, Cowen will ask candidates to complete 2-4 interviews with Cowen employees before receiving an offer for employment. All communication regarding the interview process will come from an @cowen.com or @greenhouse.io email address. At no time throughout the hiring process will a Cowen recruiter or Human Resource Professional request any type of payment in order to be considered for the role. In addition, candidates will not be asked to submit personal information as a pre-requisite for the interview process.