IT Infrastructure Engineer
Business and Financial Operations
New York, NY
The Infrastructure Engineer for Systems is a key member of the IT team who manages and maintains the Cowen core system hardware and software globally 24/7. When systems incidents occur, Employees and Clients rely on the Engineer to urgently identify the issues, troubleshoot, and resolve them. While working primarily in support of the US firm operations, the Engineer shall also provide support for international operations. This position will be west coast based and opportunity to work fully remote.
Role & Responsibilities
- Address any systems incidents that occur during business hours as a main priority.
- Promptly respond to requests for provisioning, troubleshooting, escalation, or other queries that arise regarding systems issues.
- Ensure that root causes of incidents are documented and communicated to the rest of the team(s) to prevent reoccurrences.
- When not responding to incidents, the Engineer and team are responsible for projects that will help maintain the firm’s systems, address legal and compliance items, business demands, and any other requirements.
- Identify, plan, seek approval, and implement improvements in the infrastructure systems to provide greater stability, quicker failover, greater compliance, and all-around smoother operations
- Seek and pursue opportunities to learn more about the technologies in use at the firm, as well as technologies in use outside the firm that may benefit from adopting and leveraging.
- Some off-hours maintenance and upgrade activities will be required on an as needed basis as well as participation in an on-call rotation for incidents.
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology, engineering, or related discipline.
- 5+ years’ IT experience in financial services firm or other fast-paced professional services organization.
- Experience of promptly resolving issues that are business critical alongside a wide breadth of knowledge across systems hardware and software, including servers, storage, backups, messaging, remote access, and security.
- Resolve, identify and troubleshoot incidents in a calm and professional manner, keeping stakeholders informed.
- Ability to use initiative to prioritize problems and tasks appropriately and is a methodical problem solver.
- Excellent communication and client management skills.
- Proven track record for being a team player who routinely puts the team’s success before their own.
- Thrives in fast-paced environments where the ability to multi-task and a sense of urgency are crucial.
- Proactively identifies and fixes issues before they become larger problems.
- Curious about technology and hungry to learn about it and how it might be applicable.
- Technical Systems Knowledge:
- Knowledge and fluency in Citrix Infrastructure, Windows computing environments (Windows Server 2008R2 – 2019) and Microsoft technologies (Active Directory, Group Policy, IIS, Microsoft 365, Exchange/Exchange Online, File Sharing, Azure AD, Intune) are critical for this position.
- Experience with Linux systems is required.
- Knowledge and fluency in VMWare environments (vSphere 6.7 – 7.0), storage, backup, and replication technologies (Pure, Dell EMC Unity, S3, Glacier, Rubrik, Zerto) and computer hardware (servers, storage, backup systems) is preferred.
- TCP/IP Networking and Information security knowledge & understanding as well is proficiency in MS PowerShell is preferred.
- Cloud environment experience (AWS, Azure) and knowledge of financial industry platforms (Fidessa, BBG etc.) is required but beneficial.
- Knowledge of enterprise monitoring platforms and tools and experience using ServiceNow, JIRA or other ITIL tools and scripting language and automation tools technologies (Autosys, Sumo, orchestrator) are not required but beneficial.
Who We Are
Cowen Inc. (“Cowen” or the “Company”) is a diversified financial services firm offering investment banking services, equity and credit research, sales and trading, prime brokerage, global clearing, commission management services and actively managed alternative investment products. Cowen focuses on delivering value-added capabilities to our clients in order to help them outperform. Founded in 1918, the Company is headquartered in New York and has offices worldwide.
At Cowen, inclusion and diversity are catalysts for success and innovation in everything we do. We pride ourselves on our empathetic and collaborative culture, where the power of diversity is harnessed to transform the status quo. Our focus on inclusion expands our thinking in order to generate better outcomes for clients, while striving to increase fairness and equity for our colleagues. Cowen’s vision of creating a more inclusive and equitable future is supported by our core values and is essential to our ability to outperform.
- Vision: We consistently deliver differentiated and disruptive insights that help our clients outperform
- Empathy: We proactively consider and account for the priorities and concerns of our colleagues and clients
- Sustainability: We endeavor to produce ideas and solutions that are ethically grounded and aim to pass the test of time
- Tenacious Teamwork: We elevate collaboration to new levels, empowering our ability to provide the best solutions for our clients.
Protect Yourself from Recruitment Fraud. Recruitment fraud can be attempted through fake job postings, fake websites (posing as a Company) or unauthorized individuals impersonating recruiters (even using employee names). Depending on the role, Cowen will ask candidates to complete 2-4 interviews with Cowen employees before receiving an offer for employment. All communication regarding the interview process will come from an @cowen.com or @greenhouse.io email address. At no time throughout the hiring process will a Cowen recruiter or Human Resource Professional request any type of payment in order to be considered for the role. In addition, candidates will not be asked to submit personal information as a pre-requisite for the interview process.