Database Administrator Developer
Business and Financial Operations
Belfast, Northern Ireland, Belfast, UK
Cowen are welcoming candidates to apply for this exciting and evolving Database Administrator Developer role. As well as administrating hundreds of Microsoft SQL servers, Cowen is implementing data science projects and utilising data lakes within SNOWFLAKE. Cowen’s data management program, led by the DBA team, will see the continued buildout of a data catalog and categorisation system to assist the business make best use of Cowen’s data in a fast and secure method. This role in a fast-paced environment will be integral to the success of Cowen within the financial sector.
- Installing, securing, maintaining and troubleshooting Microsoft SQL Server instances.
- Configuring additional features such as Reporting Services (SSRS) and Integration Services (SSIS)
- Manage and maintain Snowflake Data Lake instances and associated data loads.
- Ensure full compliance with policies for data standards, database security and data protection.
- Prioritise and action database related requests and resolve incidents in accordance with SLAs.
- Work with development, QA and infrastructure teams to review, deploy and troubleshoot releases.
- Developing scripts to automate upgrade, deployment, management, and monitoring of any database technology in all environments.
- Use of technologies e.g., mirroring to meet performance, availability and disaster recovery SLAs.
- Proactively seek improvement and increased efficiency in procedures, tools and technology used.
- Create and maintain accurate documentation of practices and procedures in Wiki and Sharepoint.
- Provide additional support out of hours as part of on-call rotation and scheduled maintenance.
Job Requirements / Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent work experience
- Strong Microsoft SQL Server DBA and T-SQL skills, ideally across multiple versions of SQL Server
- Minimum 4+ years’ experience in SQL Server database administration required.
- Strong experience with Agile development practices to deploy software and configuration changes.
- This position will require participation in an on-call support rota. Must be flexible to troubleshoot issues out of hours as well as any scheduled maintenance.
- Ability to work individually as well as part of a team.
- Prior experience within the Financial sector industry.
- Any previous development/scripting experience, particularly Powershell or Python.
- Experience with Support Ticketing Systems (such as Service Now or JIRA).
- Knowledge of Snowflake, PostgreSQL, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Oracle and Rubrik.
- Previous use of data management tools (Denodo / Starburst or similar).
- Exposure to automated data and schema changes for MS SQL using CICD pipeline technologies.
Cowen is an equal opportunity employer; we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. In accordance with applicable law, we make reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as any mental health or physical disability needs.
Who We Are
Cowen Inc. (“Cowen” or the “Company”) is a diversified financial services firm offering investment banking services, equity and credit research, sales and trading, prime brokerage, global clearing, commission management services and actively managed alternative investment products. Cowen focuses on delivering value-added capabilities to our clients in order to help them outperform. Founded in 1918, the Company is headquartered in New York and has offices worldwide.
At Cowen, inclusion and diversity are catalysts for success and innovation in everything we do. We pride ourselves on our empathetic and collaborative culture, where the power of diversity is harnessed to transform the status quo. Our focus on inclusion expands our thinking in order to generate better outcomes for clients, while striving to increase fairness and equity for our colleagues. Cowen’s vision of creating a more inclusive and equitable future is supported by our core values and is essential to our ability to outperform.
- Vision: We consistently deliver differentiated and disruptive insights that help our clients outperform
- Empathy: We proactively consider and account for the priorities and concerns of our colleagues and clients
- Sustainability: We endeavor to produce ideas and solutions that are ethically grounded and aim to pass the test of time
- Tenacious Teamwork: We elevate collaboration to new levels, empowering our ability to provide the best solutions for our clients.
Protect Yourself from Recruitment Fraud. Recruitment fraud can be attempted through fake job postings, fake websites (posing as a Company) or unauthorized individuals impersonating recruiters (even using employee names). Depending on the role, Cowen will ask candidates to complete 2-4 interviews with Cowen employees before receiving an offer for employment. All communication regarding the interview process will come from an @cowen.com or @greenhouse.io email address. At no time throughout the hiring process will a Cowen recruiter or Human Resource Professional request any type of payment in order to be considered for the role. In addition, candidates will not be asked to submit personal information as a pre-requisite for the interview process.