Associate, Fund Accountant
Business and Financial Operations
New York, NY
Cowen Inc. is seeking an Associate to join its Fund Accounting team in New York City to help support the growing organization.
The successful candidate will be responsible for executing, reviewing, and/or completing the monthly accounting and reporting processes for Private Equity and Hedge Funds. Financial instruments, traded within a single investment strategy include, but are not limited to, equity securities, options, fixed income, and derivatives. Fund products include entities that are fully serviced by an external administrator and prepared in-house. The successful candidate’s experience will demonstrate the ability to work independently and be part of a larger team.
- Cross team collaboration and interaction with external service providers, prime brokers and custodial banks.
- Calculation of daily fund P&L, performance, and alpha as well as monthly and quarterly investor performance and statements.
- Preparation / review of month-end and quarterly NAV and internal control packages.
- Verification of investor’s management, performance, and carry fee calculations.
- Prepare capital activity, capital calls, distributions, and exposure to waterfalls.
- Prepare year-end financial statements in accordance with GAAP.
- Assist in projects related to external audits and other department initiatives.
- Develop and improve workflows and procedures.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting.
- 3 - 5 years of related experience in public and/or private sectors (Private Equity and/or Hedge Fund experience is a plus).
- Familiarity with Private Equity process including capital call and distribution, NAV approval process and performance returns.
- Knowledge of financial instruments should include Equities, Options, Fixed Income Securities, Derivatives and Equity Swaps.
- Knowledge of fund structures should include, Master/Feeder, separately managed accounts, private equity and SPVs.
- Experience with series and partnership accounting principles and application as well as various management and performance fee structures.
- Strong Analytical skills and highly proficient with Microsoft Excel including PivotTables and Macros.
- Ability and willingness to learn new accounting software, specifically AExeo, Geneva, Workday and Penny.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and written & verbal communication skills.
- A desire to learn and take on increasingly new and challenging tasks.
Who We Are:
Cowen Inc. (“Cowen” or the “Company”) is a diversified financial services firm offering investment banking services, equity and credit research, sales and trading, prime brokerage, global clearing, commission management services and actively managed alternative investment products. Cowen focuses on delivering value-added capabilities to our clients in order to help them outperform. Founded in 1918, the Company is headquartered in New York and has offices worldwide.
At Cowen, inclusion and diversity are catalysts for success and innovation in everything we do. We pride ourselves on our empathetic and collaborative culture, where the power of diversity is harnessed to transform the status quo. Our focus on inclusion expands our thinking in order to generate better outcomes for clients, while striving to increase fairness and equity for our colleagues. Cowen’s vision of creating a more inclusive and equitable future is supported by our core values and is essential to our ability to outperform.
- Vision: We consistently deliver differentiated and disruptive insights that help our clients outperform
- Empathy: We proactively consider and account for the priorities and concerns of our colleagues and clients
- Sustainability: We endeavor to produce ideas and solutions that are ethically grounded and aim to pass the test of time
- Tenacious Teamwork: We elevate collaboration to new levels, empowering our ability to provide the best solutions for our clients.
Protect Yourself from Recruitment Fraud. Recruitment fraud can be attempted through fake job postings, fake websites (posing as a Company) or unauthorized individuals impersonating recruiters (even using employee names). Depending on the role, Cowen will ask candidates to complete 2-4 interviews with Cowen employees before receiving an offer for employment. All communication regarding the interview process will come from an @cowen.com or @greenhouse.io email address. At no time throughout the hiring process will a Cowen recruiter or Human Resource Professional request any type of payment in order to be considered for the role. In addition, candidates will not be asked to submit personal information as a pre-requisite for the interview process.