Employment Law In-house Counsel
Business and Financial Operations
New York, NY
Cowen’s Legal Department is seeking an employment lawyer to join its New York Legal Team. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to gain a broad exposure to all aspects of employment law, including contracts, transactional work, policy drafting, litigation management, and counseling. This role will report into the Firm’s Chief Employment Officer located in New York City and will interact with all levels of professionals within the organization.
- Draft and revise employment contracts, separation agreements, other employment related agreements, and employee policies.
- Serve as a subject matter expert in all areas of employment law, including, without limitation, reasonable accommodations, independent contractor classification, wage and hour, and leave entitlements.
- Provide advice to management and Human Resources Business Partners on a broad range of employment issues and conduct internal investigations.
- Manage litigation and respond to pre-litigation demands and agency charges.
- Ensure compliance with applicable state and local law.
- Conduct due diligence and participate as subject matter expert for corporate transactions on behalf of Cowen Inc.
- JD degree from a leading university and licensed to practice law in New York.
- Minimum of 2-4 years of law firm experience in an employment law group; or 2 years of equivalent in-house experience.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including contract drafting required.
- Transactional, employee benefits, or international employment law experience a plus.
- Experience with financial services clients is preferred.
- High levels of ethics, integrity and judgment.
- Ability to comfortably interact with senior management and Human Resources.
- Comfortable in and committed to a teamwork environment.
- Highly organized, detail oriented and proactive.
- Entrepreneurial attitude and ability to work outside comfort zone on new projects and areas outside of expertise.
Who We Are:
Cowen Inc. (“Cowen” or the “Company”) is a diversified financial services firm offering investment banking services, equity and credit research, sales and trading, prime brokerage, global clearing, commission management services and actively managed alternative investment products. Cowen focuses on delivering value-added capabilities to our clients in order to help them outperform. Founded in 1918, the Company is headquartered in New York and has offices worldwide.
At Cowen, inclusion and diversity are catalysts for success and innovation in everything we do. We pride ourselves on our empathetic and collaborative culture, where the power of diversity is harnessed to transform the status quo. Our focus on inclusion expands our thinking in order to generate better outcomes for clients, while striving to increase fairness and equity for our colleagues. Cowen’s vision of creating a more inclusive and equitable future is supported by our core values and is essential to our ability to outperform.
- Vision: We consistently deliver differentiated and disruptive insights that help our clients outperform
- Empathy: We proactively consider and account for the priorities and concerns of our colleagues and clients
- Sustainability: We endeavor to produce ideas and solutions that are ethically grounded and aim to pass the test of time
- Tenacious Teamwork: We elevate collaboration to new levels, empowering our ability to provide the best solutions for our clients.
Protect Yourself from Recruitment Fraud. Recruitment fraud can be attempted through fake job postings, fake websites (posing as a Company) or unauthorized individuals impersonating recruiters (even using employee names). Depending on the role, Cowen will ask candidates to complete 2-4 interviews with Cowen employees before receiving an offer for employment. All communication regarding the interview process will come from an @cowen.com or @greenhouse.io email address. At no time throughout the hiring process will a Cowen recruiter or Human Resource Professional request any type of payment in order to be considered for the role. In addition, candidates will not be asked to submit personal information as a pre-requisite for the interview process.