Business and Financial Operations
Belfast, Northern Ireland
We are seeking an Operations Professional to add to our Belfast City Centre team, who will work for Westminster Research Associates, which is part of Cowen Execution Services Limited, to act as support to our London Research Payment Account (RPA) business. The candidate will be responsible for ensuring timely allocation of trades, reconciliation, payment processing, broker invoicing and operational support.
To help ensure our clients continue to receive an outstanding level of service, the Operations Professional must be able to manage multiple simultaneous tasks in a fast paced, high pressure environment.
- Review and reconcile client/broker trade activity in line with Mifid II timescales
- Conduct due diligence/KYC compliance procedures on new clients/vendors/brokers
- Liaise with the Client Relationship Managers on any issues needing attention
- Assist in monthly/bi-monthly invoice procedures to ensure timely payment of soft dollar research commissions
- Assure ongoing compliance with quality and industry regulatory requirements
- Attention to detail is paramount due to trading and invoice volumes that require data entry and reconciliation
Job Requirements / Qualifications
- A relevant university degree in finance, economics or related discipline, or recognised professional or equivalent qualification.
- 1-2 years’ work experience in Operations/Clearing
- Knowledge of investment types and financial markets
- Experience with reconciliation, trade input and accounting reporting
- Trade reconciliations – proficiency in excel is required. The candidate will perform various matching functions, comparing client records versus our records etc. Identifying and resolving differences. It is preferable that a candidate has had matching or comparison/resolution experience
- Payment processing – ability to learn and utilise commercial banking interface (Barclays Bank) in order to set up payees, prepare and monitor payments, detect and resolve payment failures.
- Broker invoicing – ability to review monthly client records, tally amounts and learn / utilise our internal accounts receivable system in order to invoice external counterparties for these amounts. Regular review of accounts receivable to monitor and collect amounts billed
- Middle Office operational support – ad hoc operational tasks of various nature, for example categorisation and electronic archiving of client materials, reviewing archives, backfilling missing documentation where applicable.
- Candidate should be able to receive and quickly understand and respond to various client or internal enquiries, assess tasks for their proper priority, and perform such tasks and responses with a client-facing demeanor.
- Ensure high levels of confidentiality are maintained in relation to the work of the company and clients.
- Excellent written and verbal English communications skills due to interfacing and corresponding with counterparties
- Open minded, outgoing and enthusiastic
Highly Desirable Criteria:
- Provide excellent customer service while working in a fast-paced environment
- Experience in commission management services
- Microsoft Office including Word and Excel.
- Ability to use Excel to manipulate and summarise financial data.
- Some familiarity with SWIFT and general wire transfer processes would be desirable but not essential
- Some knowledge of MIFID II research unbundling regulations
- Ability to learn new management systems
- MS Teams (desirable)
- Zoom (desirable)
We are looking for a professional with excellent written and verbal English communications skills who is exceptionally organised and detail oriented. The successful candidate will need to exhibit strong academic performance, exceptional interpersonal skills, and superior analytical, computer, and communication skills.
- Maintains a professional business demeanor, attention to detail and work with a sense of urgency
- Customer focused attitude, and able to interface directly with clients.
- Confident, knowledgeable hard working and with the highest standards of personal integrity.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to problem solve
- Thrives in fast-paced environments
- Ability to relate well with others and build relationships
- Able to create, build and maintain strong relations with a wide variety of clients.
- Ability to network across the entire Cowen group including with support functions and other client facing teams.
- Ambitious and self-motivated.
- Exhibit Cowen’s Core Values
Cowen is an equal opportunity employer; we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. In accordance with applicable law, we make reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as any mental health or physical disability needs.
Who We Are
Cowen Inc. (“Cowen” or the “Company”) is a diversified financial services firm offering investment banking services, equity and credit research, sales and trading, prime brokerage, global clearing, commission management services and actively managed alternative investment products. Cowen focuses on delivering value-added capabilities to our clients in order to help them outperform. Founded in 1918, the Company is headquartered in New York and has offices worldwide.
At Cowen, inclusion and diversity are catalysts for success and innovation in everything we do. We pride ourselves on our empathetic and collaborative culture, where the power of diversity is harnessed to transform the status quo. Our focus on inclusion expands our thinking in order to generate better outcomes for clients, while striving to increase fairness and equity for our colleagues. Cowen’s vision of creating a more inclusive and equitable future is supported by our core values and is essential to our ability to outperform.
We consistently deliver differentiated and disruptive insights that help our clients outperform
We proactively consider and account for the priorities and concerns of our colleagues and clients
We endeavor to produce ideas and solutions that are ethically grounded and aim to pass the test of time
We elevate collaboration to new levels, empowering our ability to provide the best solutions for our clients.
Protect Yourself from Recruitment Fraud. Recruitment fraud can be attempted through fake job postings, fake websites (posing as a Company) or unauthorized individuals impersonating recruiters (even using employee names). Depending on the role, Cowen will ask candidates to complete 2-4 interviews with Cowen employees before receiving an offer for employment. All communication regarding the interview process will come from an @cowen.com or @greenhouse.io email address. At no time throughout the hiring process will a Cowen recruiter or Human Resource Professional request any type of payment in order to be considered for the role. In addition, candidates will not be asked to submit personal information as a pre-requisite for the interview process.