Corporate Paralegal – Immigration and Privacy/Data Governance
Business and Financial Operations
New York, NY
Cowen is seeking a paralegal to provide support to its Legal and Human Resources Departments. The role will be responsible for coordinating the firm’s employment-based U.S. immigration processes, working on global privacy, information security and data governance initiatives, and providing general paralegal support to the firm’s in-house attorneys. Experience in either immigration or privacy compliance preferred.
Key responsibilities include:
- Act as the primary point of contact for the firm’s employment-based visa and green card processes which includes the collecting of evidence and documentation for visa/green card applications, coordinating with Human Resources, employees, and outside counsel on the preparation and submission of applications, maintaining and tracking public access files and employee visa status reports, and assisting in audits of the firm’s immigration practices.
- Work on firm-wide privacy, information security and data governance projects, which will include coordinating with global offices on compliance initiatives, tracking new legal and regulatory developments, updating intercompany data sharing agreements, managing and responding to data subject requests and working on cross-border data transfer contractual requirements.
- Supporting in-house counsel with ad hoc projects and paralegal duties as needed.
- At least 2 years paralegal experience required
- A 4-year college degree is strongly preferred, with a paralegal certificate is highly desirable
- Experience in a corporate legal department as a paralegal strongly preferred
- Experience in either business immigration or privacy compliance preferred; interest in being an active contributor in both of these areas is required
- Experience effectively and efficiently managing numerous priorities to meet deadlines with minimal oversight.
- Highly organized with impeccable attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize
- Proactive, client-focused, and professional approach
- Thrive in a fast-paced and collaborative environment
Who We Are:
Cowen Inc. (“Cowen” or the “Company”) is a diversified financial services firm offering investment banking services, equity and credit research, sales and trading, prime brokerage, global clearing, commission management services and actively managed alternative investment products. Cowen focuses on delivering value-added capabilities to our clients in order to help them outperform. Founded in 1918, the Company is headquartered in New York and has offices worldwide.
At Cowen, inclusion and diversity are catalysts for success and innovation in everything we do. We pride ourselves on our empathetic and collaborative culture, where the power of diversity is harnessed to transform the status quo. Our focus on inclusion expands our thinking in order to generate better outcomes for clients, while striving to increase fairness and equity for our colleagues. Cowen’s vision of creating a more inclusive and equitable future is supported by our core values and is essential to our ability to outperform.
- Vision: We consistently deliver differentiated and disruptive insights that help our clients outperform
- Empathy: We proactively consider and account for the priorities and concerns of our colleagues and clients
- Sustainability: We endeavor to produce ideas and solutions that are ethically grounded and aim to pass the test of time
- Tenacious Teamwork: We elevate collaboration to new levels, empowering our ability to provide the best solutions for our clients.
Protect Yourself from Recruitment Fraud. Recruitment fraud can be attempted through fake job postings, fake websites (posing as a Company) or unauthorized individuals impersonating recruiters (even using employee names). Depending on the role, Cowen will ask candidates to complete 2-4 interviews with Cowen employees before receiving an offer for employment. All communication regarding the interview process will come from an @cowen.com or @greenhouse.io email address. At no time throughout the hiring process will a Cowen recruiter or Human Resource Professional request any type of payment in order to be considered for the role. In addition, candidates will not be asked to submit personal information as a pre-requisite for the interview process.