Corporate/Transactional In-house Counsel
Business and Financial Operations
New York, NY
Cowen’s Legal Department is seeking a corporate and transactional-trained lawyer to join its Legal Team. This role will support Cowen’s Equities Research and Data Science businesses, as well as business operations functions such as Marketing, Corporate Access and Information Technology/Security. The lawyer will also work throughout the Cowen organization on legal issues related to use of data, intellectual property, technology and privacy. The successful candidate will have significant contract negotiation experience, organizational skills and will thrive in a fast-paced growth environment. Cowen’s Data Science business is an early-stage company which provides opportunity for multi-layered involvement for the right person. This lawyer will interact with all levels of professionals within the organization. In addition to New York, this role can operate out of Boston, Washington D.C., or San Francisco.
- Draft, revise and negotiate vendor agreements for a variety of businesses and functions.
- Draft, revise and negotiate customer agreements for Cowen’s Data Science business, and advise management of Data Science business on all legal issues.
- Cover legal issues related to use of data, IP, technology and privacy for many Cowen businesses and functions.
- Work with a committee on global privacy, data governance and information security initiatives.
- Opportunity to work on corporate transactions on behalf of Cowen Inc. and strategic initiatives and partnerships involving Cowen’s institutional research and data science businesses.
- JD degree from a leading university and licensed to practice law.
- Minimum of 4-6 years of experience as a corporate/transactional lawyer in a top law firm.
- Experience working with financial services clients and technology companies.
- Some experience in areas of privacy, information security and data protection a plus.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including contract drafting, required.
- High levels of ethics, integrity and judgment.
- Ability to comfortably interact with senior management and customers/other external parties.
- Comfortable in and committed to a teamwork environment.
- Highly organized, detail oriented and proactive.
- Entrepreneurial attitude and ability to work outside comfort zone on new projects and areas outside of expertise.
Who We Are:
Cowen Inc. (“Cowen” or the “Company”) is a diversified financial services firm offering investment banking services, equity and credit research, sales and trading, prime brokerage, global clearing, commission management services and actively managed alternative investment products. Cowen focuses on delivering value-added capabilities to our clients in order to help them outperform. Founded in 1918, the Company is headquartered in New York and has offices worldwide.
At Cowen, inclusion and diversity are catalysts for success and innovation in everything we do. We pride ourselves on our empathetic and collaborative culture, where the power of diversity is harnessed to transform the status quo. Our focus on inclusion expands our thinking in order to generate better outcomes for clients, while striving to increase fairness and equity for our colleagues. Cowen’s vision of creating a more inclusive and equitable future is supported by our core values and is essential to our ability to outperform.
- Vision: We consistently deliver differentiated and disruptive insights that help our clients outperform
- Empathy: We proactively consider and account for the priorities and concerns of our colleagues and clients
- Sustainability: We endeavor to produce ideas and solutions that are ethically grounded and aim to pass the test of time
- Tenacious Teamwork: We elevate collaboration to new levels, empowering our ability to provide the best solutions for our clients.
Protect Yourself from Recruitment Fraud. Recruitment fraud can be attempted through fake job postings, fake websites (posing as a Company) or unauthorized individuals impersonating recruiters (even using employee names). Depending on the role, Cowen will ask candidates to complete 2-4 interviews with Cowen employees before receiving an offer for employment. All communication regarding the interview process will come from an @cowen.com or @greenhouse.io email address. At no time throughout the hiring process will a Cowen recruiter or Human Resource Professional request any type of payment in order to be considered for the role. In addition, candidates will not be asked to submit personal information as a pre-requisite for the interview process.