Equity Research Associate, Consumer - Retail , New Platforms & Luxury
New York, NY
Cowen is looking for an Associate to join its Consumer – Retail, New Platforms, and Luxury Equity Research team in New York. The team’s retail footprint is among the largest on Wall Street given stock breadth, depth, and corporate access. The team is known for a creative approach to research focused on the future of retail which illuminates new ways to analyze a rapidly changing industry. Furthermore, the team has a unique focus on private and early stage retail and luxury company research and conducts regular collaborative research across retail, eCommerce, and consumer themes. The team is ranked as a leader in the Institutional Investor poll and frequently presents to management teams and to industry conferences in addition to institutional investors. Retail sectors under coverage include: specialty retail, luxury brands, health and wellness, broadlines, and department stores, and areas of key focus include new retail platforms; retail automation and robotics; health and wellness; and online grocery.
The successful candidate will work directly with the Senior Research Analyst on many aspects of the research process including: building and maintaining financial models, performing financial analysis and due diligence, writing investment-driven research reports, developing and fielding industry surveys and undertaking a wide array of industry analyses and competitive assessments. The associate will have a high level of responsibility including broad exposure to company managements, investor conferences, and the research process that professional investment analysts utilize to make investments and recommendations. The associate will also have a critical role in concepting, planning, and executing creative corporate access programs.
The following are the minimum requirements for the position:
- Undergraduate degree in business or a quantitative area of study with a strong GPA preferred
- Up to two years relevant experience in financial services (buy side, sell side, banking or PE). Experience in specialty stores, broadlines, department stores, apparel and footwear preferred but not essential
- CFA or CFA track is a plus
- Exceptionally strong quantitative, financial modeling and Excel skills with a thorough understanding of financial statements, financial analysis and the investment process. As part of the interview process candidates will be asked to demonstrate their financial modeling and analysis skills
- Strong written, verbal communication and presentations skills
- Proven ability to work well on teams, self-motivated, showing initiative, strong ability to respond to change/flexibility, a positive attitude and a strong work ethic
- Interest in global luxury goods, handbags, and accessories as well as new commerce direct-to-consumer companies and specialty/mall retail is a positive
- Securities licenses preferred (series 7/SIE, 63, 86, 87)
As part of its hiring process, Cowen verifies identity and eligibility to work in the United States as required by law. At this time, Cowen will not sponsor a new applicant for an employment visa for this position.
Who We Are:
Cowen Inc. (“Cowen” or the “Company”) is a diversified financial services firm offering investment banking services, equity and credit research, sales and trading, prime brokerage, global clearing, commission management services and actively managed alternative investment products. Cowen focuses on delivering value-added capabilities to our clients in order to help them outperform. Founded in 1918, the Company is headquartered in New York and has offices worldwide.
At Cowen, inclusion and diversity are catalysts for success and innovation in everything we do. We pride ourselves on our empathetic and collaborative culture, where the power of diversity is harnessed to transform the status quo. Our focus on inclusion expands our thinking in order to generate better outcomes for clients, while striving to increase fairness and equity for our colleagues. Cowen’s vision of creating a more inclusive and equitable future is supported by our core values and is essential to our ability to outperform.
- Vision: We consistently deliver differentiated and disruptive insights that help our clients outperform
- Empathy: We proactively consider and account for the priorities and concerns of our colleagues and clients
- Sustainability: We endeavor to produce ideas and solutions that are ethically grounded and aim to pass the test of time
- Tenacious Teamwork: We elevate collaboration to new levels, empowering our ability to provide the best solutions for our clients.