Equity Research Associate - Life Science & Diagnostic Tools
Cowen is looking for an Equity Research Associate to join its Healthcare, Life Science Tools & Diagnostics team in Boston. The Associate will be a key member of the LS&D team at Cowen covering a portfolio of over 35 companies.
Equity research analysts follow the progress of public and private life science and diagnostic tools companies and make stock recommendations to institutional investor clients. Job tasks include financial modeling, interviews with physician experts, key opinion leaders and company managements, conducting surveys, scientific literature reviews, hosting industry conferences, writing reports and making oral presentations.
The successful candidate will support Cowen’s Top Senior Research Analyst (II ranked) in: analyzing individual companies and market trends; composing company-specific and thematic research reports; building and maintaining financial and market models; interviewing experts and company executives; conducting deep scientific and clinical due diligence; and interacting with Cowen's institutional sales force, traders, investment bankers, and investor clients.
The following are the minimum requirements for the position:
- Exceptional academic pedigree, including a higher degree in a life science-related field (PhD and/or MD preferred; other science backgrounds may be considered)
- MBA or CFA a plus; financial modelling experience also a plus
- Outstanding analytical skills. Ability to do deep primary research, analyze and draw conclusions from information (rapidly distill information and expert feedback to identify key risks, questions, and opportunities)
- Hard work ethic, attention to detail, analytical, curious, optimistic, tenacious with a desire to learn about the industry
- Passion for investing
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Proven ability to work well on teams, self-motivated, showing initiative, and a willingness to work hard
As a key member of the team, this role will require a highly resourceful and motivated individual with a strong scientific background, gravitas, and proven analytical skills.
As part of its hiring process, Cowen verifies identity and eligibility to work in the United States as required by law. At this time, Cowen Inc. will not sponsor a new applicant for an employment visa for this position.
Who We Are:
Cowen Inc. (“Cowen” or the “Company”) is a diversified financial services firm offering investment banking services, equity and credit research, sales and trading, prime brokerage, global clearing, commission management services and actively managed alternative investment products. Cowen focuses on delivering value-added capabilities to our clients in order to help them outperform. Founded in 1918, the Company is headquartered in New York and has offices worldwide.
At Cowen, inclusion and diversity are catalysts for success and innovation in everything we do. We pride ourselves on our empathetic and collaborative culture, where the power of diversity is harnessed to transform the status quo. Our focus on inclusion expands our thinking in order to generate better outcomes for clients, while striving to increase fairness and equity for our colleagues. Cowen’s vision of creating a more inclusive and equitable future is supported by our core values and is essential to our ability to outperform.
- Vision: We consistently deliver differentiated and disruptive insights that help our clients outperform
- Empathy: We proactively consider and account for the priorities and concerns of our colleagues and clients
- Sustainability: We endeavor to produce ideas and solutions that are ethically grounded and aim to pass the test of time
- Tenacious Teamwork: We elevate collaboration to new levels, empowering our ability to provide the best solutions for our clients.