Investment Banking Associate, Strategic Capital
Experienced - IB
San Francisco, CA
Cowen’s Strategic Capital M&A team is seeking an experienced Associate to be based in San Francisco. The successful candidate will join a lean, focused team with experienced bankers hailing from bulge bracket and elite boutique banks. The group’s mandate is to grow the firm’s strategic advisory dialogue through sourcing and executing M&A transactions in partnership with leading industry coverage groups, including Technology, Education, and Healthcare.
The successful candidate will be responsible for managing and executing a wide range of complex transactions including mergers and acquisitions, public company corporate preparedness and takeover defense, leveraged buyouts, carve outs & divestitures. He or she will also play a critical role in developing junior professionals in the M&A and other groups.
- Managing deal execution and project management throughout the transaction
- Interacting with senior Cowen team members and client management teams daily to execute transactions and discuss strategic alternatives
- Preparing presentation materials and participating in and leading M&A marketing meetings with key clients
- Overseeing and directing detailed valuation analysis, and transaction modeling
- Resolving complex financial, accounting, tax and structuring issues
- Providing leadership, mentorship and supervision to Associates and Analysts
Candidates must have a strong background in investment banking underpinned by solid quantitative and analytical skills. He or she should be able to think creatively about a range of strategic issues confronting the firm’s clients and have an exceptional grasp on accounting, valuation, finance, and business strategy. Specific qualifications include:
- Bachelors’ degree from a leading university with an MBA, J.D. or CFA charter a plus
- Minimum of 3 years working in investment banking with significant M&A transaction experience – middle market transactions a plus
- High levels of ethics, integrity, judgment, and intellectual curiosity
- Ability to comfortably interact with senior clients in a professional setting
- Comfort in and commitment to a teamwork environment
- Highly organized, detail oriented and proactive
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
Who We Are
Cowen Inc. (“Cowen” or the “Company”) is a diversified financial services firm offering investment banking services, equity and credit research, sales and trading, prime brokerage, global clearing, commission management services and actively managed alternative investment products. Cowen focuses on delivering value-added capabilities to our clients in order to help them outperform. Founded in 1918, the Company is headquartered in New York and has offices worldwide.
At Cowen, inclusion and diversity are catalysts for success and innovation in everything we do. We pride ourselves on our empathetic and collaborative culture, where the power of diversity is harnessed to transform the status quo. Our focus on inclusion expands our thinking in order to generate better outcomes for clients, while striving to increase fairness and equity for our colleagues. Cowen’s vision of creating a more inclusive and equitable future is supported by our core values and is essential to our ability to outperform.
- Vision: We consistently deliver differentiated and disruptive insights that help our clients outperform
- Empathy: We proactively consider and account for the priorities and concerns of our colleagues and clients
- Sustainability: We endeavor to produce ideas and solutions that are ethically grounded and aim to pass the test of time
- Tenacious Teamwork: We elevate collaboration to new levels, empowering our ability to provide the best solutions for our clients.
Protect Yourself from Recruitment Fraud. Recruitment fraud can be attempted through fake job postings, fake websites (posing as a Company) or unauthorized individuals impersonating recruiters (even using employee names). Depending on the role, Cowen will ask candidates to complete 2-4 interviews with Cowen employees before receiving an offer for employment. All communication regarding the interview process will come from an @cowen.com or @greenhouse.io email address. At no time throughout the hiring process will a Cowen recruiter or Human Resource Professional request any type of payment in order to be considered for the role. In addition, candidates will not be asked to submit personal information as a pre-requisite for the interview process.