Equity Research Associate - Biotechnology
Experienced - Res
New York, NY
Cowen is looking for an Equity Research Associate to join its Healthcare, Biotechnology team in New York.
Equity research analysts follow the progress of public biotechnology companies, and make stock recommendations to institutional investor clients. Job tasks include financial modeling, interviews with physician experts and company managements, conducting surveys, literature reviews, hosting industry conferences, writing reports and making oral presentations.
The successful candidate will support a Senior Research Analyst in: analyzing individual biotech companies and market trends; composing company-specific and thematic research reports; building and maintaining financial and market models; interviewing physicians and company executives; conducting deep scientific and clinical due diligence; and interacting with Cowen's institutional sales force, traders, investment bankers, and investor clients.
Note from Cowen associates with life science/ Ph.D. backgrounds:
What we find especially appealing about the job is that it involves acquiring expertise in a broad range of disciplines, both scientific (gaining in-depth knowledge of therapeutic areas pursued by covered companies, drug mechanisms and their associated safety/efficacy profiles, clinical trial design strategies, etc.) and non-scientific (analyzing intellectual property, financial status, market opportunities, etc.). This position is one of just a handful in which former physicians and scientists can apply their healthcare expertise to the art of investing. The product of our work is first and foremost good investment ideas. The position is a unique combination of science, medicine, and finance. It may be ideal for a person with passion in these areas.
The following are the minimum requirements for the position:
- Exceptional academic pedigree, including a higher degree in a life science-related field (PhD and/or MD)
- MBA or CFA a plus
- Outstanding analytical skills. Ability to do deep primary research, analyze and draw conclusions from information
- Hard work ethic, attention to detail, analytical, curious, optimistic, tenacious with a desire to learn about the bio-pharmaceutical industry
- Passion for investing
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Proven ability to work well on teams, self-motivated, showing initiative, and a willingness to work hard
Who We Are:
Cowen Inc. (“Cowen” or the “Company”) is a diversified financial services firm offering investment banking services, equity and credit research, sales and trading, prime brokerage, global clearing, commission management services and actively managed alternative investment products. Cowen focuses on delivering value-added capabilities to our clients in order to help them outperform. Founded in 1918, the Company is headquartered in New York and has offices worldwide.
At Cowen, inclusion and diversity are catalysts for success and innovation in everything we do. We pride ourselves on our empathetic and collaborative culture, where the power of diversity is harnessed to transform the status quo. Our focus on inclusion expands our thinking in order to generate better outcomes for clients, while striving to increase fairness and equity for our colleagues. Cowen’s vision of creating a more inclusive and equitable future is supported by our core values and is essential to our ability to outperform.
- Vision: We consistently deliver differentiated and disruptive insights that help our clients outperform
- Empathy: We proactively consider and account for the priorities and concerns of our colleagues and clients
- Sustainability: We endeavor to produce ideas and solutions that are ethically grounded and aim to pass the test of time
- Tenacious Teamwork: We elevate collaboration to new levels, empowering our ability to provide the best solutions for our clients.