Business and Financial Operations
New York, NY
Cowen Inc. is seeking an Associate to join its Fund Accounting team due to growth within the organization.
The successful candidate will be responsible for executing, reviewing, and/or completing the monthly accounting and reporting processes for Private Equity and Hedge Funds. Financial instruments, traded within a single investment strategy include, but are not limited to, equity securities, options, fixed income, and derivatives. Fund products include entities that are fully serviced by an external administrator and prepared in-house. The successful candidate’s experience will demonstrate the ability to work independently and be part of a larger team Specific responsibilities include:
- Cross team collaboration and interaction with external service providers, prime brokers and custodial banks.
- Calculation of daily fund P&L, performance, and alpha.
- Preparation / review of month-end and quarterly NAV and internal control packages.
- Verification of investor’s management, performance, and carry fee calculations.
- Private Equity experience is a plus. Prepare capital activity, capital calls, distributions, and exposure to waterfalls.
- Calculation and review of monthly and quarterly investor performance.
- Review of monthly investor statements.
- Preparing year-end financial statements in accordance with GAAP.
- Assist in other external audit related preparation and requests.
- Perform special projects and ad hoc reporting as required.
- Develop and improve workflows and procedures.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting.
- Mix of 2 to 4 years in public and/or private (focus on Private Equity and Hedge Funds) post-undergraduate experience.
- Private Equity process including capital call and distribution, NAV approval process and performance returns.
- Knowledge of financial instruments should include equities, options, fixed income securities, derivatives, equity swaps.
- Knowledge of fund structures should include, Master/Feeder, separately managed accounts, private equity and SPVs.
- Experience with series and partnership accounting principles and application as well as various management and performance fee structures.
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Excel including PivotTables, macros a plus.
- Ability to learn new accounting software, specifically AExeo and Penny.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- A desire to learn and take on increasingly new and challenging tasks.