Equity Research Associate - Consumer Retail & Luxury
Experienced - Res
New York, NY
Cowen is seeking an Associate to join its Consumer - Retail and Luxury Equity Research team in New York. The team’s retail footprint is among the largest on Wall Street given stock breadth, depth, and corporate access. The team has a unique focus on private and early stage retail and luxury company research and conducts regular collaborative research across retail, eCommerce, and consumer themes. Furthermore, the team is ranked as a leader in the Institutional Investor poll and frequently presents to management teams and to industry conferences in addition to institutional investors. Retail sectors under coverage include: specialty retail, broadlines, department stores, and luxury brands and areas of key focus include new retail platforms; retail automation and robotics; health and wellness; and online grocery.
The successful candidate will work directly with the Senior Research Analyst on many aspects of the research process including: building and maintaining financial models, performing financial analysis and due diligence, writing investment-driven research reports, developing and fielding industry surveys and undertaking a wide array of industry analyses and competitive assessments. The associate will have a high level of responsibility including broad exposure to company managements, investor conferences, and the research process that professional investment analysts utilize to make investments and recommendations. The associate will also have a critical role in concepting, planning, and executing creative corporate access programs.
The following are the minimum requirements for the position:
- An undergraduate degree in business or a quantitative area of study with a strong GPA preferred.
- An MBA and/or CFA is a plus.
- Minimum of 2 years experience in financial services (buy side, sell side, banking or PE). Experience in specialty stores, broadlines, department stores, apparel and footwear is preferred but not essential.
- Exceptionally strong quantitative, financial modeling and Excel skills with a thorough understanding of financial statements, financial analysis and the investment process. As part of the interview process candidates will be asked to demonstrate their financial modeling and analysis skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. As part of the interview process candidates may be asked to provide a writing sample.
- Proven ability to work well on teams, self-motivated, showing initiative, a positive attitude and a strong work ethic.
- Interest in global luxury goods, handbags, and accessories as well as new commerce direct-to-consumer companies and specialty/mall retail is a positive.
- Securities licenses preferred (series 7/SIE, 63, 86, 87)
As part of its hiring process, Cowen verifies identity and eligibility to work in the United States as required by law. At this time, Cowen Group will not sponsor a new applicant for an employment visa for this position.