Doing Better Enables
Us To Do Good
Doing Better Enables Us to Do Good
Our ability to have a broad, positive social impact begins with our employees and here at Cowen we are continuously exploring ways to help our employees Do More Good. The first step was formalizing our volunteering and fundraising activities by launching Cowen Cares – our corporate umbrella for all philanthropic initiatives. We’ve expanded the program’s impact by working towards ensuring a cleaner planet and healthier community with Cowen Green. After all, Sustainability – driving positive change in a manner that will pass the test of time – is one of Cowen’s Core Values.
Small Steps Make Green Changes
In accordance with our core value of Sustainability, we have launched Cowen Green – Cowen’s environmental sustainability initiative. We are aware that our actions have an impact on the planet and we are committed to doing our part to promote better practices during our time in the office. Each of our global offices has been tasked with adopting new guidelines and over the next few months all of us will be working harder to reduce waste, promote energy efficiency and increase responsible consumption – whenever and wherever possible.
Cowen’s Green Certified offices:
- 50% of our US offices are LEED certified
- 62% of all Cowen offices – across the globe, are green certified (including 10 LEED and one BREEAM)
We are also a proud supporter of One Tree Planted, a non-profit that works to plant trees around the world, supporting reforestation. We plan to plant trees annually, a small step towards our goals of reducing environmental impact.
VOLUNTEERING & FUNDRAISING
Cowen encourages a culture of giving and service, encouraging employees to take an active role in making the world a better place – at a local, national and global level. We recently launched a matching gift program to encourage and support our employees in their own philanthropic goals – donations made by employees to charitable organizations will be doubled by a donation from Cowen.
In addition to monetary giving, our employees also donate their time, talent and resources through a range of charitable causes, including but not limited to:
- NYC Mammas Give Back
- Marine Toys for Tots
- Dress for Success
- Tree of Life Synagogue
- California Fire Foundation
- Gilda’s Club NYC: Celebrating Women Luncheon
- Wall Street Run & Heart Walk
- Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM) Gala
- A Night Out with Emily’s Entourage
- The Foundation Fighting Blindness: Love of Sight Dinner
INSIGHT & IMPACT
We believe that our businesses can and should have a positive influence in matters that improve the World. Furthermore, we are committed to educating our stakeholders and enabling the growth of sustainable companies, which we believe are vital to improving our environment. Business activities such as providing insightful ESG research, facilitating investments that promote the growth of sustainable companies and advancing other environmental initiatives are just some of the ways we are working to positively affect the lives of current and future generations.
Insight – Cowen Research
Cowen’s Research team provides analysis that includes significant environmental, social and governance (ESG) implications for those portfolio managers focused on these criteria as part of their investing process.
- Total assets managed with ESG factors explicitly incorporated into investment analysis and decision-making are $6.20 trillion
- Almost 9,000 pages of ESG Research published in 2018
- Research coverage in 2017 = 360 companies with Bloomberg ESG ratings of 15 or above – almost 40% of our total coverage universe
- Multiple Cowen ESG reports authored in 2018, including landmark Ahead Of The Curve™ studies
- Exploring How Cars Communicate And Remain Secure
- Sustainable Energy & Industrial Technology Primer
- Settling Into More Normalized Muni Spending, focused on municipal water initiatives
Impact – Cowen Investment Banking & Investment Management
Our Investment Banking & Investment Management teams highlight ESG investment opportunities for investors – seeking to deliver attractive returns while evaluating the long-term impact of a company’s business practices on society, the environment and the performance of the business itself. In addition, Cowen Healthcare Investments (CHI) invests in life sciences companies that are working toward curing cancer and other diseases.
- 31 – # of Cowen Investments into Life Sciences companies
- $38 million – Total dollars invested by Cowen into healthcare companies
- In the last five years:
- 23 Clean Energy Investment Banking transactions
- 14 Clean Energy Investment Banking clients
- $560mm raised for Clean Energy Investment Banking
In the workplace, we have taken great care in designing a comprehensive employee benefit program that helps our employees meet their own specific needs. Programs, such as emergency back-up child and elder care, subsidized health club membership and flexible work arrangements, help employees balance work, life and family matters more effectively.
- Up to 16 weeks of maternity leave
- Gender neutral primary care giver leave
- Weekly guided meditation on-site
- Comprehensive Fertility Support
- Diabetes Management Assistance
We are proud to say many of our employees are going above and beyond for “Green” initiatives. A few of those employees are:
- Iveta Hlinka, Cowen Head of Control Room & Backyard Bee Keeper
In addition to being Cowen’s Head of Compliance Control Room, Iveta Hlinka is also a “Backyard Beekeeper” in Brooklyn, NY. Honeybees have an enormous positive impact on not only personal gardens but extended areas too as they pollinate along their travels. This pollination helps the ecosystem remain diverse and sustainable. Even plants that are capable of self-pollination tend to produce in greater quantities when pollinated by the honeybee. Read more: 10 Crops That Would Disappear Without Bees
- Jeff Osborne, Cowen Senior Research Analyst & Sustainable Energy Guru
Not only is Jeff Osborne the longest-tenured Sustainable Energy and Technology analyst in the financial industry, he also strives to “practice what he preaches” at home. Jeff has converted his house to a solar energy system – which produces 60% of his family’s electricity needs through the year, and a geothermal system for heating and cooling.
Cowen is steadfast in our commitment to all stakeholders on promoting strong governance, ethical business practices and prudent risk management. For a full list of Cowen’s ESG policies, Click here